like many days this summer, turning on the oven is just out of the question in the ridiculous heat (even if you have the ac blasting). today, i whipped up a some super easy to make mini salad pitas for a picnic i am heading to later tonight. i consider them the fingerfood version of salad.
here's what you'll need:
10-15 mini whole wheat pitas (trader joe's has some great ones)
6 grape tomatoes
10 black olives
4 basil leaves
1 tbsp vinegar (red wine, white, or balsamic - your choice)
1 tbsp olive oil
a dash of sea salt
a dash of black pepper
- chop up the tomatoes, cucumber and olives into small chunks (about 1/4" in size)
- roll up the basil and slice thinnly to make little shreds.
- hand toss, mixing the chopped veggies and basil (i know tomatoes are fruit, but work with me) in a bowl
- mix in the vinegar, olive oil, salt and pepper.
- keep in the fridge until about 10 minutes before you are ready to serve.
- slice open the mini pitas and either spoon or hand stuff each mini pita with your salad mix.